Friday, September 9, 2016

Bookbabe Reviews: Fallen by Lauren Kate

                                  
Fallen Angels and an Earth Shattering Love: The Bookbabe Reviews  Fallen by Lauren Kate 

Let me start off as saying this is not my first attempt at reading this book. I originally purchased it in 2012 and attempted to read it. I gave up about fifty pages in because I simply could not get in to the book. The prologue was interesting but after that I was pretty much lost. I got bored. Well....fast forward to 2016 and to the downloading of the audio book from Dover Public Library and viola.....I am completely done the first book in the Fallen series. 
Fallen was exactly what I expected and I thought that I could almost predict the ending; I mean,, come on, we've all read these types of YA novels and they almost always follow the same formula. Girl falls for mysterious guy, guy tries to resist girl, he is hiding a secret...yada yada yada. We have all been there. However, Fallen was a bit different. This was the first series of I had read involving Angels; and I was pleasantly surprised. Kate weaved a good tale of forbidden love  and lost. Also, she kept it interesting by putting our main characters in a very interesting environment: a reform school. Who knew that a school full of delinquents could be so fun to read about. 
Luce and Daniel are probably going to become some of my favorite couples in a YA series. This is for several reasons: 1) Daniel seems to be a hopeless romantic (he reminds me of Darcy from P&P but without the snooty attitude); 2) Luce seems to be able to handle herself; she knows what she wants and seems to be okay with fighting to stay with Daniel. It also does not hurt that both of them are extremely relatable and likable. Also,  Luce is not the typical female love interest you would expect in a YA novel. She is not clingy or whiny and she sticks up for herself. You could say Luce is the anti-Bella (as in Bella Swan from Twilight). 
One of my favorite scenes from the book involves a bit of a plot twist; in which, someone they all trusted decides that Luce has to die because, frankly, she is a destruction for Daniel in the fight against another Fallen angel. I can honestly say that I am extremely happy to have read it. I can not wait to start Torment. I gave Fallen 4/5 Stars on Goodreads.com.

Favorite Quotes:

"The classes here are soulless, worse they'll strip you of your soul. Of the eighty kids in this place, I'd say we've only got about three remaining souls."

"Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed."

"You - you wouldn't hurt me?" "Of course I would....you're the human equivalent of a migraine"

No comments:

Post a Comment