Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Bookbabe Review: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

                                    
She was great at Magic; she is even better at mysteries: The Bookbabe Reviews The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (AKA  J.K. Rowling) 

Summer 2016 seems to be the summer of crime and mysteries; at least when it comes to my reading list. It all started with my binge reading of the Mickey Haller series (by Michael Connelly) and then I started the Bill Hodges series (by Stephen King). Then I made the decision to read the Cormoran Strike trilogy written by Robert Galbraith. 
When I first started the book I was not exactly sure how I was going to feel about it. I was really worried that one of my favorite authors was going to fall flat when it came to writing mysteries. After all, J.K. Rowling had spent most of her writing career devoted to the Harry Potter series. And this is most likely why she choose to write the novels under a pen name. She wanted a fresh start, writing within a new fictional genre. However, that did not make this first book any less magical. Rowling proved that she can break out of the mold and redefine herself as a writer that can write about a little more than magic. 
In The Cuckoo's Calling we meet private Detective Cormoran Strike; he is rough around the edges, a hard man. He is a also broke. Strike can not afford the assistant that is currently working for him and so he ends up taking a case that he thinks will only lead to dead ends. Especially since it seems that the death he is investigating was ruled a suicide shortly before he got  involved. The death/suicide he is investigating is that on Lula Landry. Landry was a model, and a media darling. Everyone in England seems to know everything about her. The only people that seem to be out of the loop is her family. Months before her death she seemed to be distancing herself from her beloved brother. Who is the person that contacted Strike to investigate the death. Of course, Strike uncovers that Landry's death was definitely a murder. And there are a lot of suspects, with a lot of reasons to kill her.
I really thought I had the killer pegged; but boy was I wrong. Rowling really got me. I was shocked. I have read a few mysteries this year and this one was definitely one of my favorites. Strike is nothing like Michael Connelly's characters (Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller); and ya'll know I love Connelly's stuff. I really can not wait to finish The Silkworm; which I am currently reading. 
My favorite scene of the novel happens when Strike confronts the killer. He outlines for the killer how things happen; and how he did it and why he did it. And also confronts him with another crime that he has committed that only someone else close to Landry and the family could have known about. I gave The Cuckoo's Calling 4/5 stars on Goodreads.

Quotes I loved:
"Looking like a rake with two plastic tangerines tied to it"

"..Have you meant his girlfriend? Talk about a beard...I think she's got one"

"Its that wounded-poet crap, that soul-pain shit, that too-much-of-a-tortured-genuis-to-wash bollocks. Brush your teeth, you little bastard. You're not fucking Byron."




   

No comments:

Post a Comment