Sunday, March 13, 2016

First Impressions.....Night Pleasures (Dark Hunter # 2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Here is the blurb from the back for the book (Goodreads.com):
The Dark-Hunters are ancient warriors who have sworn to protect mankind and the fate of the world is in their hands. . .

 He is solitude. He is darkness. He is the ruler of the night. Yet Kyrian of Thrace has just woken up handcuffed to his worst nightmare: An accountant. Worse, she's being hunted by one of the most lethal vampires out there. And if Amanda Devereaux goes down, then he does too. But it's not just their lives that are hanging in the balance.  Kyrian and Amanda are all that stands between humanity and oblivion. Let's hope they win.
 

First Impression after reading three chapters:
Okay, so I am a fan of J.R. Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood series, and over the time I have been reading those someone always mentions this series. So at the end of 2015, I read the Manga's based on the series. You know just to get a feel on whether or not I may enjoy these books. Well the story was interesting enough that I went out and purchased the first three books in the series (used) from Acorn Books. I think that it is important to note that I am also speeding up my reading experience by using an audio book. A technique I found really helpful when I was reading the All Souls Trilogy. 
Well, with Kenyon also filing a lawsuit against Cassandra Clare for ripping off her characters and ideas I decided it was time to start them; because I truly wanted to be able to dissect the claims that the stories are similar. 
So now that we have the reasons why I am reading this text out of the way...let's get down to business. After three chapters, I have mixed feelings about the book. Kyrian is everything I expect in a paranormal romance; however, I feel like he is a little to "pretty" and is missing the edge and grit that I seem to love about Ward's Blackdagger Brothers. Of course, I am pretty much still in the beginning of the story so he may grow on me. Also, the actor that reads the audio's take on Kyrian kind of throws me. Since it's a woman the male voice is almost soft, not at all "manly". That could also be what's throwing me off. Right now the book is following the manga very closely. Which is a good thing if you want skip reading the novel. (Not that I would advocate for that.)
While the novel is funny, and characters very interesting. The mentions of sex can be a bit much. It's almost as bad as Ana Steele (character by E.L. James) and that "inner goddess" of hers. Hopefully it will not be the same way through every book; because if so I will find myself not reading the series. Not because the romance is to much but because it's not sexy and honestly is extremely poorly written to the point that it's tacky. I know that's a bit mean. But I feel that it's best to be honest. As of right now I am giving the books a 3.5 out of 5 stars. Hopefully that rating will change by the end of my reading experience! 

1 comment:

  1. Great first impression review!

    Couldn't agree more!

    Tbh Bye most of her books are a similar ilk, gorgeous demigod type man, falls in love with an average maybe even fat or just generally "normal/nothing special about her" female.

    Not much variety I'm afraid. I've read Alexander, Kyrian, Acheron and (the really "bad" one that's mentioned, I can't remember his name, but he's usually stuck in Alaska.

    Anyway, they're enjoyable enough for a quick read but I stopped reading them after I read Acheron's, just couldn't get into any other ones.

    ReplyDelete