Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Daemons, Witches, Vampires and Enchanted Books ... oh my!



The Bookbabe Reviews: The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

So I have completed the last book in this freight train of a book and I can honestly say that I was not at all disappointed. Harkness built the right amount of drama, suspense and weaved just the right amount of magic. There are a few things that I was really excited to see happen in this book. We finally travel back to England with Diana and Matthew and the rest of the "clan". Diana is still learning about her magic and more of Matthew's secrets are coming to the surface. As a result their bond is tighter than ever. While they are finally coming to terms with how the blood rage will affect their lives and we get a glimpse of the madness of Matthew's son, Benjamin. We also get reunited with one of my favorite characters from the previous book (Shadow of Night), Jack. We also see the reappearance of Father Hubbard; who the last time around was shrouded in shadiness. That is still the case this time but their is also a surprising twist that I really did not expect. The best part of this book was seeing Diana let go of her fear and go into battle with the congregation. As she takes them on we get the impression that Harkness is leaving an opening for a possible return to the story line. Which honestly is exactly what you are going to want to see happen after you've finished this book. 

Best Scene:

Favorite Quotes:

   "No wonder Philippe always looks so exhausted," he said ruefully when he was through. "It's very fatiguing pretending you're in charge when your wife actually rules the roost" 

"As I am the end, so my lover is the beginning. I encompass the whole work of creation, and all knowledge is hidden in me " 

"If you truly love someone, you will cherish what they despise most about themselves" 


No comments:

Post a Comment