Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Bookbabe Reviews: The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Maureen Johnson



 What can I say about this collection of stories? Well since it was a
work of one of my favorite authors I can say that I really am not
disappointed expect; that I missed some of my favorite characters that
made minimal appearances in this volume. I really would have loved to
see more Jace. I know that this is selfish but really….I wanted my
Jace to come back. Now that that is out of the way lets get down to my
favorite stories in the volume.
I loved “The Runaway Queen” because its Magnus in French at the
beginning of the French revolution. Not to mention Magnus in knickers
and a powered wig is a very interesting and comically image that I
want to keep locked in my memory forever.  I also loved “The Fall of
the Hotel Dumort“; this one was very interesting. Mainly because we
got to see the ugly side of Camille Belcourt (before the mortal
instruments series); we get to see her being less than careful about
her business; she is allowing her vampires to run wild and call
attention to themselves. We also get to see a picture of New York
during the “drug era” of the 70’s; something that is most likely not
written about in the young adult genre. The story also let us know
that vampires are not immune to addiction. Now on to the two stories
exclusively about Malec (Magnus and Alec); I loved these and I see why
my friends where in love with them too. “
What to buy the Shadowhunter Who has everything (And who you’re not
officially dating anyway)”;  what I loved the most about this one was
Elyaas. Who knew that a slimy, octopus like demon could be comical.
Also, the fact that Catarina and Ragnor want nothing to do with Magnus
love life is hilarious. I mean honestly, if Magnus was my friend I
would want no parts of it either.
Last but not least “The Course of True Love (and First Dates)” is also
wonderful and most likely my favorite of the entire book. What I loved
about this story was that Magnus is really afraid to get close to Alec
but also that Alec is afraid to get close to Magnus. My favorite scene
from this story takes place in the restaurant they go to. The fact
that the werewolf waiter just wants nothing to do with Alec is so
incredibly funny. The werewolf goes out of his way to make sure their
food is spicier than usual and makes sure that Alec and Magnus
understand that Alec makes him uncomfortable. In fact he even goes so
far as to say that he gets stress ulcers; and will most likely get one
because Alec stresses him out. I literally laughed out loud because 1)
a werewolf for an ulcer is to funny and 2) because Magnus makes it his
business to point out that stress does not cause ulcers.
Honestly, I think Cassandra Clare and her co-writers did an awesome
job on the Magnus book. I can not wait to read the Shadowhunter
academy series that she has been releasing these past few weeks. I
feel like this book gave me enough of a Mortal Instruments fix that I
am kind of okay with waiting for Lady Midnight; which is not due out
until spring of 2016. If you are as big a fan of Cassandra Clare as I
am please pick this volume up; its worth the read.

Quotes I Loved:

"I'm a demon" he said. "I'll curse a mermaid. I'll curse a cocker
spaniel. I don't care about anything" (Elyaas)

" If Jane Austen could see this," Magnus said, "I assume she would be
screaming, "There are tiny demons in this little box! Fetch a
clergyman!' and hitting the television with her parasol"

“Go to faeries for gossip about vampires, to werewolves for gossip
about faeries, and do not gossip about werewolves, because they try to
bite your face off: that was Magnus's Motto"

For more reviews please visit my sites
www.facebook.com/thebookbabeofde
www.delawarebookaddict.blogspot.com
For personal book recommendations you can email me at thebookbabe84@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment