Monday, June 23, 2014

The Bookbabe turns 30....



Today the BookBabe celebrates her 30th Birthday and it's only fitting to share 30 Books that have helped shape, motivate, inspire her. The Bookbabe hopes that by sharing a passion for all things books that she can also inspire others to share their passion for reading. Well let's get down to the list! 


1) Charlotte's Web by E.B. White; it was one of the first books I ever remembered receiving as a kid. I remember reading it over and over and falling in love with reading. I wish I could go back to that summer and experience that book for the very first time.


2) A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens


3) Night By Elie Wiesel

 

4) A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer


5) Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank


6) On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King 


5) Love Wins by Rob Bell


6) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 


7) The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe


8) The Color Purple by Alice Walker


9) Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


10) He Chose the Nails by Max Lucado; this book changed how I viewed my relationship with Christ.


11) The Shack by Wm. Paul Young 


12) Salem's Lot by Stephen King; that book turned me into a creepy teenager that liked writing about creepy things, horror is perhaps my favorite genre to write.


13) The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch; I read this my junior year of college and it taught me that I can achieve my dreams just by living every day to the fullest and with great joy.


14) Fahrenheit  451 by Ray Bradbury; this book should be suggested reading for all teenagers. I remember clearly thinking that I would hate to live the life that Montag is leading; in a society that is seems so dull and lifeless. Where owning a book is a crime; this book out a fighting spirit in me. It taught me the importance of fighting against censorship. 


15) Girl, Interrupted by Suzanne Kaysen; I read the book a few years before it became a movie and boy oh boy how it effected me. I was about sixteen when I read it and I could identify with Suzanne. I was a confused young lady just trying to get a handle on my emotions and figure out my path in life. This book taught me that the road to self discovery can sometimes be a hard and lonely road; but, eventually things always work out for the best.


16) The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald; one day I will re read this book while listening to jazz and sipping wine. This book is about obsession and lost and hope and excess. What's not to love?


17) Cane River by Lalita Tademy; this book taught me to embrace my family history and it love the store within it. 


18) For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf by Ntozake Shange


19) Letters to my Daughter by Maya Angelou; this book contained all the wisdom that my mother and grandmother forgot to bestow upon me.


20) The Autobiography of and Execution by David Dow; this book displayed all the ugliness of the death penalty in America.

 

21) The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan


22) River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clark


23) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis


24) Dear Senator by Essie  Mae Washington- Williams


25) Renee and Jay by J.J. Murray 


26) The Message: Remix (the bible in contemporary language) compelled by Eugene Patterson; this book is by my nightstand and gets highlighted in and carried around. The word of God is more important than anything else I have ever read.


27) Harry Potter and The Half Blood Price by J.K. Rowling


28) Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


29) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


30) What we talk about when we talk about God by Rob Bell  


No comments:

Post a Comment