Monday, February 12, 2018

First Impressions are everything: Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People about Race by Reno Eddo-Lodge

This book is on fire. Now I see why its gotten such great reviews. In Why I’m no Longer talking to White People about Race is a powerful look at Race in the United Kingdom. It covers history of not only violence but how black and brown people came to be in the UK. The books touches on colonalism and the lies often told to those being colonalized to get them on the side of their oppressers. The best example of this is Lodge’s toughing on the history and treatment Indian soliders that came to fight for the British in the hopes on the promise that the British would vacate their country. These men can to Britian to fight in World War 1 only to be ill treated and segerated and then lied to. The Treatment of West Indies was no better.

The book also touches on slavery; what really caught me off guard in the examination of this subject is that I never thought of slavery as a British Institution. I’ve always thought of it as a distinctly American enterprise. However, Slavery was big business in Britian and there where several slave ports throughout the country. Lodge points out that slavery was treated as a bit of an after thought. Brits could profit from it without ever having to directly witness its bruality.

Right now I am reading my way through the second chapter; which exams the criminal justice system in Britain. I can say that the system in the UK is not all that different from the one in America. And God knows thats depressing as hell on so many levels.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a book I am just not going to be able to stop recommending.

No comments:

Post a Comment