Saturday, February 3, 2018

Cassandra Clare, Manga and Shadowhunters....Pure Magic

I am not a fan of comics, manga or graphic novels all that much. However, I am not above reading one if it means I can revisit a story I once loved. Last year, I read two (March by John Lewis and Kindred by Octavia Butler)and I liked them. But venturing into the shadowhunter world this way was a little different then I expected. I have read all three of the Infernal Devices novels - and they’re some of my favorites; so I really knew I would love this adaptation. And I did. So here are my thoughts:

What it got right:
The adaption really kept the spirit of the characters; Will especially comes off just as reckless and funny as he does in the books. Jem (my Book boyfriend from way back) is still the silent, gentle warrior that you meant in the long form novel. And Tessa is still strong willed, opininated and lovely. I am happy that the characters were lively and easy to connect too. The story line was as you expected and all of the major themes of the book weren’t missed.

What could have been better:
I would have loved for the comic to be in color. Especially since the first few pages of the booo are in color. I think that would have added a litrle more depth to the entire book. Also, Magnus....ugh...I didn’t like him in this book. He didn’t seem like the “over the top” warlock we are so used to. Also, Church (the cat) is introduced but remains unnamed. For what ever reason this annoys and and I truly hope Church will get some much needed love in the next comic.

All and all I really loved this short, quick look into the Shadowhunter world. I can not wait to read the next two (both of which are just sitting on my shelf waiting). I am going to give this book 5/5 stars on Good reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment