Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Another Classic Checked off my list: My Review of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

    
                              
Another Classic Checked off my list: My Review of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Any of my friends can tell you that I am a Janeite. Absolutely in love with just about all things Austen. So a few weeks ago, I joined one of my fellow Book lovers and soul sister Charlotte; in reading Northanger Abbey. This was my first time reading the novel and I was excited because I had read that it was Austen's take on a gothic novel (though it ends up being a parody). Many of which were written and wildly popular in her lifetime. So I went into it expecting something very different from what I read. I was a bit disappointed at first. But - Jane never really ever disappoints. She gives you characters you can grow to love and cherish. Which was very much the case with Catherine Morland; the heroine of the novel. I found Catherine to be very relatable; then though she was a bit childish and naive at first.  Frankly, she reminded me a lot of myself in my late teens and early twenties. Catherine is a young woman who very much wants to forge her own path; she seems to want an adventure but also wants to be content with life as well. She is very different from some of the other characters written by Austen that I love. Unlike Lizzie Bennett, she not at all strong willed; she does not openly express her opinions - not even among close friends. She is also, not as dizzy, or nutty as Marianne. But definitely not as sensible as  Elinor. There is a perfect imperfection in Miss. Morland's character that I could not help but love. One of the things I love the most about this book was her slow and evolving friendship with Henry Tilney. When Henry first comes upon the scene (talking of women, letter writing, and bad grammar) I really found him annoying. But, like most of Austen's male characters he grows on you (like a fungus lol). Tilney is harmless and a bit odd. Which actually is what I loved the most about him. He seems almost from the start to be a good match for Catherine. 
Another thing that I loved about this book was the friendship between Catherine and Isabella Thorpe. Yes, Isabella is annoying, rude, and extremely selfish. But, she is a good example of what some "friends" can truly be in our lives. They can often use us for their own gains and shower is in a lot of fake affection. I know I have experienced it and honestly I believe most women may have experienced this as well. The only characters I could not stand in this book were Isabella's brother, John. As well as, Mrs. Allen. I did not like Allen because she did not seem all that interested in anything really going on with Catherine - she seemed okay with allowing Catherine to go about with the Thorpe's and their schemes without a thought of what impact it could have on Catherine. Especially since some things women and men did just NOT do together during that era because they could be seen as improper. I did not care for John Thorpe because he was a liar - and almost ruined Catherine's happiness with Tilney by selling the general a lie that Catherine is wealthy; when in fact she is not. Not to mention her tries to force her into an "understanding" by starting the rumor that the two are a couple. Which could not be further from the truth. Thank goodness for that. The book ends with everyone ending up right where they need to be...though Catherine's brother is heartbroken because of Isabella's behavior.
What I found odd at this book was the way in which Austen wrote it; the POV was a little odd. The work was also a bit more on the sarcastic side; though this is probably because the book is a  parody. I did find the book a little harder to read than most of her novels, and I got bored with it in places. I do not regret taking the time to read it however. I gave the book 4/5 stars on goodreads.

Quotes I loved:
"That no young lady can by justified in falling in love before the gentleman's love is declared, it must be very improper that a young lady should dream of a gentleman before the gentleman has first dreamt of her"

"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love"
 



    

1 comment:

  1. Perfectly put, Soul Sista! It was a good read and SO much more Bearable when JT was out of the picture UGH he was insufferable... Possibly only slightly worse than Emma, but Emma is the heroine of her tale so I have NO IDEA how I'm going to get through that book... I can't hope to escape her!!! Lol I'm only ever reading Emma when you do (hopefully that's a while from now) ��

    ReplyDelete