Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Sexy High Fae...Oh my! The Bookbabe Reviews: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

The Bookbabe Reviews: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

My final book for review for June is Sarah J. Maas' A Court of Thorns and Roses. I really don't know why I waited almost two months to read it after its release date. Especially since I knew that I would not be disappointed. This book had me tweeting her for information on the next book's release date. There is so much to love about this book. But what really stands out is that we meet a very different female lead than that of her previous series; Throne of Glass. In Feyre, we find a vulnerability that is often missing from the heroines in most YA novels. She is both tough and soft hearted. She wants nothing more but than to be able to support her family. When the book opens we find Feyre in a snow blanketed forest as she hunts for food. She is battling internally with being both mother and father to her family. (Even though her dad is alive.) She has to take on some very important tasks that most younger siblings would not have to; especially since her family has so recently fallen on hard times. While in the forest Feyre kills what appears to be a wolf and this set into motion something even Feyre would never expect. As the story progresses we meet some very interesting Fae characters. Chief among them being Rhysand, Tamlin and Lucien. In these three we really find all the characteristics that we hope to find in Maas' male characters. Tamlin is frustrating but gallant, hilarious, and sexy as all hell. Lucien is a bit of a jerk at first; then he grows on you like a fungus. By the end of the book you have a deeper appreciation of him as a character. Another character that I came away loving was Rhysand. Though I have a funny feeling that his court scheming and his help in the downfall of their "queen" well come back to bite Feyre and Tamlin in the behind. What I loved most about this book is that its a take on Beauty and the Beast; however, Maas took it in a very interesting and highly entertaining direction. I can not wait to see what happens in this series of books.

I would recommend this book to any fan of Throne of Glass, Game of Thrones and YA fantasies. 
  
Quotes I loved:

“Do you ever stop being so serious and dull?"
"Do you ever stop being such a prick?" I snapped back.
Dead—really, truly, I should have been dead for that.
But Lucien grinned at me. "Much better.” 
 
“I love you,’ he whispered, and kissed my brow. ‘Thorns and all.” 

“I love you," I said, and stabbed him.” 

For more reviews feel free to follow me at www.delawarebookaddict.blogspot.com

1 comment: