Wednesday, July 8, 2015

An Era of Civility: My re-reading of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice



A few months ago Story Wonk (www.storywonk.com) announced that it would be running a seminar called "In Want of A Wife"; which examines Jane Austen's most popular novel, Pride and Prejudice. I thought that a great time to re-read the story and dive head first into the book for the second time. I read Pride and Prejudice the first time during my freshman year of college and fell head over heels in love with not only Darcy and Elizabeth but also regency England. Why did I love this time period you may ask; honestly simply because it was a era of good manners, a simple life and civility. Yes things are formal and a bit stuffy but in that world all that is good and proper is praised. Something that seems to be messing from the times we live in today. Not to mention that the prose written during that period is absolutely beautiful. What I also love about Jane Austen's take on family life during this time period is that she is so willing to poke fun at all the silly things that go on within a family; this is perhaps what makes Pride and Prejudice so engaging.
Pride and Prejudice is (in my mind) one of the most romantic books I have ever read because of the way Darcy and Elizabeth are thrown together. She thinks him proud and rude; very mean spirited and willing to control the lives of others simply because he can. Elizabeth is primarily judged , by Darcy, based on the actions of her family. She could be viewed as wild, loud and impertinent as her sisters Lydia and Kitty. As bookish as Mary, as sweet and impersonal as Jane. As well as, as much a gossip and phony as her mother. However Elizabeth, though headstrong, is only guilty of allowing her first impression and acquaintances to shape her opinions and views of those she comes into contact with. Elizabeth is also extremely observant but only when it come to the relationships of others. She seemed to be completely blindsided by Darcy's regard for her. Darcy once rejected by Elizabeth does his best to change her opinion of him. He takes inventory of his behavior and tries to right his wrongs. Its not until his Aunt, Lady Catherine (in one of the best chapters of the book ...56) confronts Elizabeth about her ties to Darcy that he has hope that she loves him back.
Through it all, we all get to see the feelings of Darcy and Elizabeth shift in a very natural and beautiful way. They grow from despising one another,  to civility bordering on indifference to a slow, burning, joyous love for each other. Most often relationships that happen this way in books (and sometimes in life) are the most memorable. 
 While re-reading the book my feelings about Jane changed. When I first read the book I liked her, but upon finishing it this time I no longer do. I found her to be weak and a tad selfish. For the life of me I can not understand how she so was so easily duped by Bingley's sister. Sadly, I like her better in the movie than I do in the book. Another character I found myself wanting to scream at was Lydia. I literally kept thinking of how badly I would have loved to be able to slap her. I did not remember her being as annoying as she was. Overall, I enjoyed my re-reading of the novel very much. In fact, I found myself kissing my book goodnight as I sled it back into its place of honor on my shelf.

Quotes I loved: 
"If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged but one word from you would silence me on the subject forever."

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is to long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."

For more reviews be sure to follow me at www.delawarebookaddict.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment