Thursday, July 2, 2015

Have Books Will Travel.....


So back in February my family started planning our summer vacation. We went back and forth on where we wanted to go, some choose Flordia...maybe a cruise and finally (and rather quickly) we all settled on California. This was my first trip to California and their second. I, of course, was interested in the California weather and the laid back lifestyle. Not to mention there is a lot of history here in California; especially with the studios etc. So during our trip we visited several hot spots that I will highlight here. Chief among them, Universal Studios (and their tour) and Warner Brothers Studios. We also went to Madame Tussards (wax museum) in Hollywood. What I loved about the places that we visited is that some very "bookish" things come about during these tours. Also, I think it is important to mention that it is very difficult for me to decide on what books to take during vacation. Especially since I knew that I would need to be active and could not do my usual "antisocial" bookish behavior and just escape to a corner with my book. So I downloaded an audio copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I also physically brought along A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (which I finished), Grey by E.L. James and an annoted copy of Pride and Prejudice. We will not even get into the books that I have downloaded to my Scribd account and that are stored to my iPad. I know that fellow bookworms will feel my pain in the dilema of what books to pack. I digress, but I really really just needed to put that little tid bit in there. So here comes the photos...

Day one of our trip: Warner Brothers Studios; which seemed to be unlikely to have anything bookish until I remembered that the Harry Potter films were produced by Warner. During the tour the WB has a small museum that features some of the artifacts from the movies and original illustrations from the books. 

 
 
As soon as I walked into the exhibit this was the first thing I saw. I gasped and instantly wanted to snatch one of the letters so that I could take it home with me.
This is me with the Privet Drive sign. I also got re-sorted into Slytherin...which I was very happy with. In fact, I purchased a Slytherin wool scarf (mind you it was 90 degrees on the day we went to the WB).
I was so happy to see these costumes. When I saw the HP exhibit in NYC at Discovery Times Square the final movie had not be released. These three costumes where featured in part two of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Also, Daniel is damn short lol.
Costumes worn by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's
And they had Quidditch gear
Also the costume for the Dark Lord was present. I really wish that something of Bellatrix would have been featured. 
 Harry and Ron's wizard chest set
I must say that I really love Luna's Style
Remember when Hermonie was petrified in Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets? Well here is the dummy/wax figure that was used in the movie. I will admit that this thing is freaky and creepy looking, and it looks as creepy as it did in the movie.
 My favorite little Elf, Dobby. 
 
Why so Sirius? Ok, I had to do it. Especially since the other exhibit in the building involved Batman.
 
Every Robert Pattinson Fan should recongize this? Its the costume he wore in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire.
So we all know that as soon as I saw this I could think was "Umbridge...a vial toad of a woman"

Day Four: Madame Tussards of Hollywood; most folks have been to one of these.
The most bookish thing was a figure of Katniss Everdeen as played by Jennifer Lawrence. I was very shocked to see this. But, it just goes to show how popular the books/movies are. Can I also mention that I have been looking for her scarf for months. (I have found them on Etsy, but they are so expensive).

And finally here is another photo of me being positively dorky. So everyone go forth and be geekishly prosperous. If I happen upon any fanastic book shops I will be sure to share photos ;)


















No comments:

Post a Comment