Friday, April 22, 2016

Six Books I instantly loved....


Bookish love is a wonderful thing. And bookish love at first sight is even more wonderful. There are very few books that I fell in love with upon opening to the first page or at the conclusion of its first chapter. But here is a short list....

1) The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan - In Tan's bestseller I instantly felt as if June was a kindred spirit. I read the book at a time of my life when I was discovering who I was. I was finally learning more about my own family and about my own mother; and at the heart of this book is the story of daughters learning to value their mothers. 

2) The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank- I read this book at a very young age and it has stayed with me my entire life. Anne was so much like myself, she liked to read, she was curious about everything. She also was coming into her own; sadly Anne's life was cut short. I sometimes wonder what she would have done with her life had she survived the concentration camp.

3) Renee and Jay by J.J. Murray - This was the second book by Murrary I had ever read; however, it is why I kept reading his work. In that one little book he weaved a love story so real I was completely taken aback. What's funny is that supposedly the story is loosely based on his relationship with his real life wife. Another thing about this story that really made me love it was that he is a Caucasian man writng as a black woman and a very very convincing way. 

4) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - what's not amazing about this book. Austen writes about the way that people sometimes fall into love. It can come from out of nowhere; and sometimes that love can be bought on due to a few misunderstandings. Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett's love story is be far one of my favorites and I know I will be reading it over and over again for the rest of my life! 

5) The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - does this need any explaination. I mean what's not to love about The Potter series; it's got it all. Witches, Wizards, Magic, Danger, Loce and laughs. 

6) The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness - I read this series last summer and fell head over heels in love with it. Mainly I fell in love with Matthew Clarimont; the mysterious Oxford professor. Matthew is dreamy, and Diana (who would become his love interest)  has a mystery of her own to unreveal. It seems the closer they get to one another the more they need each other to work through every great the mystery of the series.

What books did you really fall in love with? Please feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment