Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Personal thought....reflection on a passage from Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine

Commentary on this....(The book is Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine) This particular passage spoke to me; mainly because I have experienced this. Times when my unsmiling face has been criticized. I was at work week before last and a customer asked me something and I responded. I did not come off as hateful, or mean (in my opinion) but she suddenly looked at me and asked me "why are you so miserable?". Of course, I could have left it alone and just excused myself and let someone else help her but I found myself saying "that is just my face, I don't always smile". She then went on to explain to me "well you were like this the last time I was here, I THOUGHT YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH ME". Finally I had to tell her; not that she deserved an explaination that "I am dealing with some personal stuff". She went on to tell my coworker that I was "rude"; no you made a thing about how my faced looked. You made it about you; you did not ask me if I was alright. You assumed that it was about you. The main reason I post this is because I am sick of having to explain myself. I should not have to; better yet I should not feel that I have too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment