Wednesday, January 3, 2018

American Classic Lit: To Kill A MockingBird by Harper Lee

I was about 27 or so when I first experienced the movie To Kill a Mockingbird. I don’t know why I decided to watch it - I just had a desire to see it. I had friends that had been “forced” to read the book in Highschool or college and were very indifferent to it. However, I had never read the American Classic or seen the movie. I knew what it was about (roughly) and I kind of had no desire to read it. Then 2018, a really cold night and the desire for a classic read convienced me to dust off my old, second hand paperback copy of the book.
I settled in with the book the other day and slipped into the lives of Jean Louise (Scout) and Jeremy (Jim) and Atticus Finch. I must say that the story is pure and innocent and funny. There is so much to love about the story. So much more detail the movie just left out. I’m about 80 pages in now and I really can’t wait to see what other nonsense Jim and Scout get into.
I know that eventually I will come to the heart and lesson of the story that is so broadly featured in the film. But for now I am enjoying the lovely stroll through Jim and Scout’s Childhood. This book makes me crave games of tag and adventures with my cousins in our grandparents back yard. How simple life was as a kid; and then life happens. I have a feeling tis will be a book I will come back to from time to time to be reminded of the simpler things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment