Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Wings, War and Mating Bonds....The Bookbabe Reviews A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas



Last month the third installment in Sarah J. Maas A Court of Thorns and Roses series was released. I didn't jump right into the book because I had a lot going on and frankly I wanted to take my time with the novel. This book starts off with Feyre back at the spring court awaiting a time to ruin Tamiln's life make him pay for the betrayal of her and her family to Hybren.
Throughout her time at the Spring Court she is attempting to keep Tamlin and Lucien at arms length. She plays this well; its an Oscar winning performance, at least where Tamlin is concerned. Lucien, however, is expecting something. He is suspicious of her from the moment they leave the Cauldron and King of Hybren to come back to the court. It's not until Dagdan and Brannagh (the niece and nephew of the King) that Feyre is able to spring her trap and escape; but not before the pays back Ianthe for her role in the betrayal and for her constant in wanted sexual advances on Lucien and several other males around her. Feyre and Lucien escape to the court of Night together. Lucien only leaves with her because he wants to see his mate; Elain, who happens to be Feyre's sister. As they escape the run into characters from the winter and autumn courts that will play a much bigger role in the storyline as we go on. Once they are back in Velaris Lucien quickly comes to understand that all he thought and knew about Rhysand and his court is untrue. Rhysand is more caring and loving and honorable then Lucien has been made to believe and the leads him into becoming a reluctant ally of the Night Court. During the book we see a love hate relationship start between Nesta and Cassian. We also see Azriel and Mor's relationship become more strained; and most of that is Mor's doing. She is sitting on a secret that she needs to share with Az. We also find out the Amren has a love interest who lives in another court; we also find that she will betray Feyre and her friends in order to save not only the court but their world.
Amren's betrayal was frustrating for me; I found myself cussing her when I read it. I truly did not see that coming and she had put Feyre in danger. However, Maas cleans it up and the end and we find that Amren is still a friend of the group and is still within the courts ranks at the end of the novel. If the betrayal was not bad enough Maas could not resist harming Rhysand; but this one moment was also a chance for Tamlin to redeem himself. This did not change my views of Tamlin. I still don't like him; but it does mean that we will see him in the future. We will also see Queen Vassa in the upcoming novels, however, I have a feeling that her tale is going to be full of drama and danger. I think this queen is going to be a piece of work; something tells me she's putting on a front to those around her so that she can be freed from the man that holds her captive. There is so much that went on in this book and its way to much to discuss without spoilers.

Best Scenes:
Death of a really bad character at the hands of Nesta and Elain.
Amren lives.
We have a LQBT character

Worse scene:
Cannot tell you due to chance of spoiling it - sorry!

I gave this book 5/5 stars on goodreads.

Quotes that I loved:

1 comment:

  1. Great review as always! I'm going to read the Wuthering Heights one now :) I cannot wait for the next book! But I'll settle for binge reading Throne of Glass series in the meantime! Lol

    ReplyDelete